Monday, February 15, 2010

The Fire Tower Project

Anton Krupicka wrote a blog titled "The Green Mountain Project", talking about how he is in quest to summit Green Mountain 100 times in the first 100 days of the year. It sounds like a tough endeavor and interesting enough. This blog post is titled "The Fire Tower Project." No, I am not running up a Fire Tower 100 times in 100 days, but the hill dubbed Fire Tower Hill is something that has been a regular in my runs. The hill starts about a mile and a half from Reece's house and it is about a mile to the tower (the tower is no longer a fire tower, just a radio, etc tower). The hill is not steep, but it is very continuous and really gets the legs working. Reece and I have even raced up it in the past and that makes it even harder......

But, what makes it even harder than running fast up the hill, is running (at any speed) in 6 inches of snow. The past week, I ran 4 night runs and in those 4 days I ran up the hill 4 times. With the snow on the ground, it makes you want to turn around halfway and go back, but the satisfaction on making it to the top is worth the jarring heart rate and muscle fatigue. Plus, the view, whether during the day or at night, is spectacular. Running back down is just as fun.

I have no intentions on running this everyday or anything like that, but I will appreciate it as much as possible, especially while the snow is still on the ground (which looks to be a good while longer). The snow provides a lot of benefits to running, like soft impact and more leg strength. I also did a little barefooting last night in the snow. I better take advantage of it while it lasts!

"All in all, feeling good is good enough for me"

WMO

Check out new blogger, Blake Wysocki

1 comment: